Charts 30s stock crash

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Charts 30s stock crash

Post  LibertySilver on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:02 am

I'm looking for charts for the crisis in the 30s. I remember having seen charts where the price of precious metals was correlated to the broader stock market for the first year of the crisis and then decoupled going to new highs at the same time which the broader market continued down.

Anyone having references to this?

LibertySilver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charts 30s stock crash

Post  explore on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:52 pm

silberruecken started a thread on the Kondratieff cycle in which he had a link for an Ian Gordon presentation http://www.thelongwaveanalyst.ca/presentation.html . There are a couple of pages in there that are relevant to your question. One graph shows the price of Homestake (a gold company) and the DJIA between 1921 and 1940. Starting at the end of August, 1929, both plunged and then bounced, however, while the DJIA resumed its plunge, Homestake moved much higher.

Not exactly what you asked for, but of some relevance.

explore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:42 am

LibertySilver wrote:I'm looking for charts for the crisis in the 30s. I remember having seen charts where the price of precious metals was correlated to the broader stock market for the first year of the crisis and then decoupled going to new highs at the same time which the broader market continued down.

Anyone having references to this?
Maybe you realized this already...but gold was fixed in the thirties.

In early 1934, he increased the official mint price of gold, which had been $20.67 per ounce for 100 years, to $35 per ounce. The Treasury gold stock, valued at $4,033 million in January 1934, became $7,348 million in February 1934, an increase of $3,405 million by the decree of one man.

Miners were basically the only proxy for gold unless it was a "collectible" or you didn't turn it in to the good government men. And the main reason that they did so well is everything else was plummeting in price while the "official price" was set higher, so their margins ballooned.

Jeremy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top